1. Estimate the settlement within a compressible soil layer due to applied loads from fill, embankent and buildings
Time Rate of Settlement
2. Estimate the time-settlement relationships for soils due to applied loads. Use design approaches for accelerating consolidation rate (e.g. wick drains and surcharging)
Soil Bearing Pressure
3. Determine the allowable soil bearing pressure for spread footings on saturated clays and sand giving consideration to shear failure and settlement
Design Spread Footings
4. Design square and rectangular reinforced concrete footings
Design Combined Footings
5. Design combined reinforced concrete foundatiosn using both conventional approaches and elastic methods (beam on an elastic foundation).
Design Mat Foundations
6. Design reinforced concrete mat foundations using both the conventional method and elastic methods (e.g. finite element models)
7. Estimate the single pile capacity and group pile capacity for piles in sand and clay
Pile Group Settlement
8. Estimate the settlement of a pile group in saturated clay
Drilled Shaft Capacity
9. Compute the capacity of drilled shafts in clay and sand. Understand critical components of construction that influence capacity.
Select Suitable Foundation
10. Characterize a subsurface profile using insitu techniques and determine the most suitable foundation type to support a given structure.