Econ 488 students will be able to
- Demonstrate an understanding of the assumptions underlying commonly used empirical approaches for the identification of causal effects, including:
Ordinary least squares
Interrupted time series
Difference in differences
- Demonstrate an understanding of the interplay between economic theory and empirical work.
- Read and understand contemporary academic literature in economics. Students will provide written evaluations of selected academic papers, including a clear description and critique of the empirical methods used.
- Apply modern empirical methods using data analysis exercises.
- Complete a research project in which they identify a question, assemble a dataset, thoughtfully apply appropriate empirical methods, and clearly describe their methodology, assumptions, and findings.