Conversant in Theory of Gender
- Students will become acquainted with the major theoretical perspectives both sociological theories of gender, as well as other disciplinary perspectives.
- Students will be able to evaluate gender through the lens of contrasting theoretical perspectives both in writing and in class discussions.
Gender: Individual, Interactions, Institutions
- Students will recognize how gender operates at the level of the individual, in social interaction, and in social institutions.
- Students will be able to discuss how gender influences individual identity, social interactions, and social institutions.
- This ability will be assessed by exams (breadth) and short paper assignments (depth).
Application of Gendered Perspectives
- Students will be able to apply gendered perspectives to everyday living. This will be developed in a class project to be presented orally.
- Students will be able to apply gendered perpectives to their own lives. This will be assessed in short essay assignments and in small class discussion groups.