Understanding Teacher Instructions
· I can show I understand the teacher's instructions by doing what is required.
· I demonstrate my knowledge of the correct German terminology by role playing diverse practical settings and by discussions about related topics
Carry Out Research
Students wil be able to carry out research on one aspect of Germanic linguistics and ommunicate a clear synthesis and analysis of their research in both written and oral form.
Conversing about Novels
· I demonstrate understanding of contents and interpretations of a novel by participating in conversations about them.
Finding Sources for Research
Students will be able to seek sources on topics in Germanic linguistics, including journal articles, handbooks, speech recordings, etc.
· I can communicate my needs.
Students will be able to write an annotated bibliography.
Summarizing Reading Passages
· I can summarize reading passages.
Data, Quotes and Citations
Students will be able to identify appropriate data and useful quotes that help them support their thesis and the arguments they are making. Students will be able to introduce and cite all quotes and data properly, providing adequate and correct citations for all points they are making or ideas they are drawing on from the works of other scholars.
Explaining hard to understand Concepts
· I can explain hard to understand concepts to others.
Students will be able to argue their points and theses effective by using logical and cohesive arguments.
Synthesizing and Shareing Interpretations from Reading Passa
· I can synthesize and share my interpretation of reading passages in a novel.
Reviewing One's Own Work and that of Others
Students will become less dependent on their professor's grades, feedback and comments to improve their work. They will develop the ability to candidly evaluate their own performance and work, providing effective peer review for the work of others, identifying both the strengths and weaknesses of papers in terms of structure, form, citations, writing to the thesis, and overall organisation. To do so, students will be able to identify the key sentences in their own work and the work of others, shaping paragraphs and sections to ensure they fit with the thesis and topic of the research paper.
Express Views on Contemporary Issues
· I can express my views on contemporary issues using relevant terminology.
Using Publications as an Example for Writing Own Paper
Students will be able to draw upon published sources and the articles of others to use as examples of 1) how to organise their papers (including sections and paragraphs); 2) how to cite and incorporate data (including in tables) and the ideas of others; 3) compose a bibliography, 4) format their papers, and 4) correctly use the terminology and turns of phrased used in the field in question.
· I can give an oral presentation from prepared notes.
Pronouncing German Consonants
· I can pronounce the German consonants correctly.
Pronouncing Germal Vowels
· I can pronounce the German vowels correctly.
· I can apply the correct stress patterns.
Fluent Speech Rate
· I can speak at a fluent speech rate.
Correct Word Endings
· I can use the correct word endings (gender, case, number).
Correct Word Order
· I can use the correct word order, also in complex phrases.
Correct Verb Forms
· I can use the correct verb forms.
Words in Correct Contexts and Correct Connotations
· I can use words in the right context and with the right connotations.
Motivated to Learn German
· I am motivated to learn German and show this by giving my best each time.
Language Learning Strategies
· I know what works best for me in achieving proficiency and I can use a variety of strategies.
Using German Outside of the Classroom
· I find ways to use German outside the classroom.
Cultural Differing Viewpoints
· I keep an open mind to understand cultural differing viewpoints.
Autonomous Learning and Class Preparation
· I can learn grammar points on my own and show this by being prepared for class.
· I remember vocabulary by forming useful associations with new words and use these in oral and written communication.