Fundamentals of Fate and Transport
1. Learn the fundamental processes by which contaminants are transported in groundwater, including: diffusion, advection, and dispersion.
2. Understand process that delay or limit contaminant transport, including: sorption, reaction, decay (chemical and radioactive), and colloid transport.
3. Learn the fundamentals of tranport in the vadose zone, as well as multiphase flow.
4. Appreciate the processes involved in the transport of inorganic (including radionuclides) and organic compounds.
5. Understand the fundamental principles of ground water monitoring, site characterization, and remediation, including the major federal laws that govern such actions.